Jennifer S. Poage
I recently completed my MA in Fashion Design Management at the London College of Fashion with a focus on Design Thinking, Future Concepts, Innovation Management, and bridging the gap between fashion and science.
Previously, I spent several years doing apparel technical design for the adidas Group pro-athlete uniforms and training gear. I have also recently co-authored a design/business book published by Maven House Press — http://mavenhousepress.com/our-books/flair/ — that illustrates how to use creative processes to incorporate “flair” into your daily work and products.
Specialties: sportswear design, innovation management, applied research methodology, design process and operations, collaboration facilitation, audience/customer engagement, and advanced garment construction.
animana, London, UK – Design Communications Consultant, Feb. 2016-July 2016
- Part of Tenere consultancy team that implemented social media marketing and communications plan for animana.
- Developed brand guidelines and brand voice strategies.
- Wrote blog articles to promote brand awareness and educate consumer on brand values of quality, heritage, and sustainability for Facebook and Fashion Revolution.
Asili athleisure, London, UK – Design Lead, Feb. 2016-May 2016
- Design management and process consultant for initial launch collection and pre-production plan for women’s sustainable athleisure line.
- Sourced team members, created project brief, and facilitated team communications.
- Conducted trend research, developed brand aesthetic, and guided founder on fashion industry processes.
- Designed launch collection: market research; team collaboration; color, mood, and style boards; hand sketches; illustrator design boards; and tech pack creation.
Writer of Flair: Design your Daily Work, Products, and Services to Energize your Customers, Colleagues, and Audiences, April 2014-Sept. 2015
- Co-author of Flair, Maven House Press (March 2016): http://mavenhousepress.com/our-books/flair/
- Conducted thesis research, interviewed experts (Design Directors with Reebok and adidas), brainstormed content with co-author, wrote content, and designed book marketing material.
- Adapted and presented creative processes and theory for a business audience.
Adidas/Reebok, Canton, MA – Technical Designer, Mar. 2007-July 2013
- Translated apparel design sketches into technical flats with construction and graphic detailing; advised on best construction techniques, graphic applications, trim selection, and cutline measurements; mocked up full-size artwork and pattern pieces to assure proper graphic and cut line placement.
- Undertook fit sessions: reviewed and advised on construction, fit, and areas where the factory was cutting corners; suggested fixes; and revised tech packs based on changes made during meetings.
- Played key role in revising process of breaking out multiple sport’s teams color ways and artwork for production by adding check points and defining roles to eliminate errors that went to the factory and to save time in redoing complicated artwork.
- Trained and mentored new hires and guided designers on process and calendar deadlines.
Briggs NY (Ready-to-Wear women’s apparel), Brighton, MA – Design Assistant, Mar. 2006-Dec. 2006
- Sketched flats and analyzed construction for cost savings; produced apparel style boards showing multiple colorways; and conducted trend research.
- Assisted in new color selection, fabric development, and color matching.
- Designed silhouettes and embroidery patterns for “Pantology” collection.
- Attended fit sessions, trend reports, and vendor meetings.
London College of Fashion, London, UK – Sept. 2015-Sept. 2016 Master of Arts in Fashion Design Management
Master’s Thesis, with Distinction: Drawing upon Biomechanics Professionals to Create a Specialised Tool for Design Innovation in Athletic Wear.
- Design Thinking: Brainstorming techniques, collaboration, iteration, primary research, and theory
- Research Methods: Thesis development, research methodology, and data analysis
- Fashion Branding: Developing and promoting brand values, identity, and objectives
- Collaborative Unit: Project management, cross-industry collaboration, and brand development
- Managing Fashion Projects: Team building, client relations, brand voice, and written communications
- Creative Futures: Speed of innovation, innovation management, future concepts, and change
Kenan-Flagler Business School, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC – Sept.-Nov. 2013 Business Essentials Certificate
Parsons School of Design, New York, NY – Jan.-Dec.2005 Associate of Applied Sciences
Fashion Studies; Graduated with Honors
Drew University, Madison, NJ – Sept. 1997-May 2001 Bachelor of Arts in Art History
Summa Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa, National Math Honors Society, Honors in Art History for Senior Honors Thesis
- Knowledge and ability to apply research methodology, design thinking, and collaborative strategy to design, branding, and marketing projects.
- Extensive knowledge of garment construction, functional apparel, textile properties, graphic execution, and product life-cycle.
- Experienced in men’s and women’s pro-sports uniforms, fan apparel, performance wear, extreme sport and weather protection, branded lifestyle apparel, and ready-to-wear.
- Trend research, analysis, and presentation.
- Developing and promoting brand identity and voice, PR writing, and editing.
- Project management: costs, timelines, task allocation, risk, process testing, and adaptation.
- Facilitating interdepartmentalπ and cross-industry collaboration.
Expert with Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, WebPDM, and Microsoft Office.
Ballet, modern dance, pilates, historic garment construction, international travel, early 20th c. art
Flair: Design your Daily Work, Products, and Services to Energize Customers, Colleagues, and Audiences – http://mavenhousepress.com/our-books/flair/
Energize your Clients and Audiences – https://www.soa.org/News-and-Publications/Newsletters/The-Independent-Consultant/2016/august/Energize-your-Clients-and-Audiences.aspx
5 Reasons People Love a Good Story – http://playbook.amanet.org/5-reasons-people-love-good-story/
Meet Your Maker – http://fashionrevolution.org/fostering-relationships-beyond-commerce/
animana Branding – https://www.facebook.com/pg/animanaonline/notes/?ref=page_internal